Friday, September 13, 2013

7 Quick Takes -- Reinvention Edition

7 quick takes sm1 7 Quick Takes about isolation, Chardonnaydo, and the creepiness of Furbies (vol. 232)
 
(1) So Long, No Blog
As anyone checking my blog out right now can see, it's been a long time since I was "engaged" in the blogging world.  It started off unintentional, but after awhile it just felt "awkward" to start up again.  Since I've still been reading blogs regularly (perhaps more avidly than before), I decided I should get back into the blogging world.
 
(2) "Where" Do I Blog/Write
Where is my place in the blogging world? What type of blogs do I like to read?  I am constantly reading Christian and Catholic woman's blogs, and I realized that most of these are "mommy" blogs.  Why do I, as a childless, unattached 20-something read these so much? Because for the most part they're the only Catholic woman's presence on the web.  Unless you're headed to CatholicMatch.com there isn't a ton (which does not mean none - there are some great blogs out there by singles) for the single young (wo)men of the Church.  That's the presence I'm hoping to be a part of.
 
(3) Re-Invention
I am definitely in a season of reinvention in my life.  I finished 2 years of AmeriCorps*VISTA.  I am working a most likely short-term job, which I do in fact really enjoy.  I'm trying to start a career.  This can be a scary season.  I feel like I'm a college senior all over again asking the big questions.  What do I want to do? What do I want to be? Where do I want to live?
 
(4) Fall
I love fall.  Let me rephrase that - I LOVE fall.  It is my favorite season, in a way that only a New Englander could understand.  Even though its a season of dying in many ways, I also see it as a season of refreshment - that cool crisp air, just seems to revitalize things after a long summer.  Plus, it gives me an excuse to laugh at articles like this -- despite coming from the Onion, I suspect that Mr. Autumn Man is NOT just a satire.
 
 
 
(5) My New Online Home
In addition to revitalizing this blog I also have another online home -- L.B. Writes  From this home, I will be venturing into marketing and communications consulting, doing freelance work for non-profits and small businesses.  I have a passion for keeping the "social" in social media, and using the power of the written word to do good in communities, by helping organizations promote positive social change.  I am hoping this will mean big things for me in the future.
 
(6) Personal Re-Invention
In addition to my career, there's been some personal re-invention going on.  This is the re-invention that says not only what do I want to do and what do I want to be, but also who do I want to be?  This is the reinvention that asks: what is my vocation?  what does GOD want me to do?  This is the reinvention that (at least past the age of a 22 year old college student) looks at "where do I want to live?" as a bigger question I wonder things like - what would happen if I met my future life partner while living in a big city, when I would want to raise a family in the country?  Personal re-invention is about not simply deciding what to be, but discerning who to be, and who to surround myself with.
 
(7) Faith Life Re-Invention
This one is a challenge and sometimes a failure, but still something I see as important.  It's been a struggle lately with my faith it seems, even the basic logistics of making it to Mass have been a struggle with my work schedule (Saturday day time then back-to-back overnight shifts Saturday and Sunday), but I realized that if I say this is important, and am not willing to sacrifice an extra hour of sleep or whatever else to make my faith a priority, I become like the lukewarm being spit out (Rev 3:16).  I'm trying to get my priorities in line, and go back to my philosophy journey driven living of living for those priorities everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment